By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
BigPaulSportsBigPaulSports
Notification Show More
Latest News
Sound Smart: 4 Observations After The 2026 NFL Schedule Release
Sound Smart: 4 Observations After The 2026 NFL Schedule Release
Game Analysis NFL Sports News Sports Talk
How to Watch 2026 Indy 500 Practices: TV Channel, Streaming, Times
How to Watch 2026 Indy 500 Practices: TV Channel, Streaming, Times
Game Analysis Sports News Sports Talk
2025-26 NBA ECF, WCF MVP Odds: SGA, Brunson Enter as Favorites
2025-26 NBA ECF, WCF MVP Odds: SGA, Brunson Enter as Favorites
Game Analysis Sports News Sports Talk
4 Takeaways From Denny Hamlin's All-Star Win At Dover
4 Takeaways From Denny Hamlin’s All-Star Win At Dover
Game Analysis Sports News Sports Talk
Dave Roberts Sees 'Fruits' of Progress in Roki Sasaki’s Masterclass vs Angels
Dave Roberts Sees ‘Fruits’ of Progress in Roki Sasaki’s Masterclass vs Angels
Game Analysis Sports News Sports Talk
Aa
  • Big Paul Sports
  • Game Analysis
  • Registration
  • Member Login
Reading: Neymar Furious At Accidental Sub Ahead Of Brazil’s World Cup Squad Announcement
Share
Aa
BigPaulSportsBigPaulSports
  • Big Paul Sports
  • Game Analysis
  • Registration
  • Member Login
Search
  • Big Paul Sports
  • Game Analysis
  • Registration
  • Member Login
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
BigPaulSports > Blog > Game Analysis > Neymar Furious At Accidental Sub Ahead Of Brazil’s World Cup Squad Announcement
Game AnalysisSports NewsSports Talk

Neymar Furious At Accidental Sub Ahead Of Brazil’s World Cup Squad Announcement

BigP
Last updated: 2026/05/17 at 9:32 PM
BigP Published May 17, 2026
Share
Neymar Furious At Accidental Sub Ahead Of Brazil's World Cup Squad Announcement
SHARE

An apparent mistake by the fourth official forced Neymar off the field during Santos’ 3-0 home loss to Coritiba in a Brazilian league match on Sunday, the last chance for the star striker to impress before Brazil’s World Cup squad is announced.

The 34-year-old Neymar, who has struggled to be fit since he tore his ACL in October 2023, has tried for more than a year to show Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti he deserves a place in the squad.

The incident took place in the 65th minute, when Coritiba was already leading 3-0 and Neymar, whose form has improved in recent weeks, was having a quiet match for relegation-threatened Santos.

Santos’ forward #10 Neymar receives medical attention during the Brazilian league football match between Santos and Coritiba at the Neo Quimica Arena in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by NELSON ALMEIDA / AFP via Getty Images)

Neymar was on the field having his right calf sprayed by a doctor when the referee told him to go to the sidelines, where the treatment continued.

In a matter of seconds, the fourth official raised the substitution board which indicated that No. 10 — Neymar — would be leaving for Robinho Jr., who immediately stepped onto the pitch.

“I knew Robinho was coming in, but I wasn’t even watching it,” Neymar said. “I didn’t know I had been substituted, I had not seen the board. It was a very serious mistake by the officials, by the fellow who puts the numbers on the board.”

Santos coach Cuca and Neymar himself informed the fourth official and referee Paulo Cesar Zanovelli that a mistake had been made with defender Gonzalo Escobar — No. 31 jersey — the intended player to be substituted.

Zanovelli gave Neymar a yellow card for refusing to accept the substitution. The striker then took the official substitution request sheet and showed it to broadcasters at the Neo Quimica Arena in Sao Paulo, with Escobar’s number on it instead of his own.

“It is a mistake (of the fourth official) indeed. But it wasn’t the reason why we lost, it would be unfair to place blame on this,” Santos coach Cuca said in a press conference.

Brazil’s soccer confederation, which organizes the country’s league, is yet to comment publicly about the incident.

Ancelotti will announce Brazil’s squad on Monday in Rio de Janeiro.

Brazilian media reports said that Neymar’s chances of being in the 26-player squad have increased recently because his inclusion is favored by other players who Ancelotti is certain to take to the World Cup.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

You Might Also Like

Sound Smart: 4 Observations After The 2026 NFL Schedule Release

How to Watch 2026 Indy 500 Practices: TV Channel, Streaming, Times

2025-26 NBA ECF, WCF MVP Odds: SGA, Brunson Enter as Favorites

4 Takeaways From Denny Hamlin’s All-Star Win At Dover

TAGGED: soccer
BigP May 17, 2026
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
Facebook Like
Twitter Follow
Youtube Subscribe
Telegram Follow
newsletter featurednewsletter featured

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

    Popular News
    Jose Mourinho back to Real Madrid? Perez Favors Benfica Boss To Replace Arbeloa
    Game AnalysisSports NewsSports Talk

    Jose Mourinho back to Real Madrid? Perez Favors Benfica Boss To Replace Arbeloa

    BigP BigP April 28, 2026
    PSG Eliminates Bayern Munich, Will Face Arsenal In Champions League Final
    bet365 Bonus Code: Bet $10, Get $200 in Bonus Bets Win or Lose with Promo Code FOX365
    Mariners Call Up Top Prospect Colt Emerson for MLB Debut Against Padres
    NFL Offseason Check-in: Can Carnell Tate Be Titans’ WR1 After Being Ohio State’s WR2?
    - Advertisement -
    Ad imageAd image
    [wpadinserter id="3"]

    Categories

    • Sports

    About US

    We offer information and tips on US Sports and evernts all over the world.
    Top Categories
    • Game Analysis
    • Services
    • Premium Content

    Subscribe US

    Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

      © Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.

      Removed from reading list

      Undo
      Welcome Back!

      Sign in to your account

      Lost your password?